Thursday, April 1, 2010

Paper Tiger

I arrive in No. Beach early with an expectation of smelling sour dough baking and hearing the Italian language being spoken. Coffee at Trieste is the place to start. At the counter I glance over to the corner table where Coppola sat, week after week, working on his Oscar winning film script "Patton." In his chair sits today's Tiger Team host, the publisher. She tells me that since becoming "idle" and being forced to live off savings, each day starts at Trieste. "Before coffee I agonize over what the end result of my day's efforts will be. Always my day improves, ever so slightly, after a visit here."

I'm reminded that a "paper tiger" is defined as someone who is outwardly strong and powerful, but is in fact powerless and ineffectual. I wonder what the opposite of a paper tiger is. It occurs to me that each of us on the Tiger Team is, to some degree, outwardly powerless and ineffectual, but is in fact strong and powerful. Is it precisely that self image that must be coaxed away from us? Do we seem to cling to it. Has it become our new identity?

We head for her apartment located down an ally up on Telegraph Hill. When the team is seated at her long dinning room table, the meeting starts when the business man eagerly asks to kick things off. Seems he's identified three ways that goals might affect his performance. This should be good. I implore him to continue. "One, goals narrow my attention and direct my efforts to goal-relevant activities. Two, goals can lead to more effort as I will work more intensely than I would otherwise in order to reach the goal. Three, goals influence persistence. I become more prone to work through setbacks or to work harder if pursuing a goal." Words to the wise from a new born, goal setting zealot. Well, it's a start.

The publisher declares that she will focus on her next career-building steps as soon as she completes the installation of her new computer system and the organizing of her extensive files. In response to the team's skepticism, she says, "I know time is flashing by. Each morning when I look into the mirror I wonder how long I can maintain a middle-aged status." I suggest, "For some time, my dear. For some time, indeed." She throws me a playful kiss from the other end of the table. The team chortles. We plow on. The Internet has changed the dynamics of publishing and her dream is to seize some new opportunity she trusts will magically appear. Probably not a good strategy. Find other options is the groups thinking. The laid-off corporate type suggests taking a specialized computer class.

We are growing closer as a group, and are more willing to trust as if we are old friends. Next week we head for the AT&T Park area. That's where the business man will host session number four. He lives in a loft. I love lofts. Americans love lofts.

No comments:

Post a Comment