Thursday, March 18, 2010

Focus on Success

The first meeting of The Tiger Team occurred this morning in the San Francisco Ferry Building. Just inside from where the ferryboats come and go, adjacent to a Peet’s Coffee, is a large area with sturdy tables and chairs that became our first venue. I organized the first meeting. I am so ready. The gathered team of professionals consists of four men and one woman: An unemployed attorney/politician, a furloughed corporate type, a stymied publisher, an entrepreneur with a good idea, and a writer expanding his services. I’m the writer.

First order of business was to vote on some very basic ground-rules. It was unanimous that: (a) we meet for 2-hours, weekly, on ten consecutive Wednesdays; (b) we cap our team at five individuals but will consider a sixth in two-weeks; (c) we will have a rotating role as session facilitator; and (d) we assemble in the facilitator’s home (or a coffeehouse convenient to the facilitator). Our first assignment is to come up with a 30-second elevator speech and to be prepared to pitch it at the next weekly meeting. Here is what I have conjured up for myself thus far:

“My name is Leo Maselli. My shingle (gesturing) says BC&C – Bus. Comm. and Consulting. I specialize in the entertainment industry, namely business to business, business to consumer and internal communications. My know-how is in the area Public Relations, Marketing and Advertising. Say - how can I be of assistance to you? I’d love to send you my contact information. May I do that? (Offer a business card) What do you do?”

Next week we meet in a private home out on Treasure Island. Apparently the politico on the team lives in a mansion over there. Must be nice. It appears that I am becoming part of a new and interesting family. I was surprised to learn that there is a Muni bus that goes over there. I’ll do whatever I need to do to be there on time. I don’t want to miss a thing. It is my intention that our two hours are rigorous and meticulously focused on our individual career goals. I expect some discomfort as well as some growth. Last bit of homework: consider signing a team-contract and fill-out Session Prep Sheet. More about those items next week.

# #

No comments:

Post a Comment